You've heard of Awkward Family Photo's, right? If you haven't, take a moment or two and enjoy how the family photo can go terribly wrong.
Avoid having your family photo posted there by taking a few pointers from Unbored: the essential field guide to serious fun by Joshua Glenn and Elizabeth Larsen.
- Shoot a lot of photos
- Natural light is best, and even better when not in direct sunlight
- Get Close - keep the focus on the family, not the surroundings.
- Stay in the picture. In other words, use the self timer.
- Get funky with the setting - but not too funky. See above picture.
- Go abstract - instead of shooting the faces, take a picture of everyone's feet.
- Reward with candy - make sure it's not blue.