Monday, August 8, 2011

MTV makes me feel old

Before MTV was all Snookie all the time, it was Music Television. And it was revolutionary. The TV was just a few feet from my front door, and when I got home from middle school I could not get to it fast enough. My finger would be poised to press the power button before I'd finished opening the door, and the set was always tuned to...what channel was it? Geez, I never thought I'd forget that. Anyway, that was then. When I would put up with all the Guns n' Roses videos in order to watch Tori Amos, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2 and my beloved Pearl Jam define the 90's. And then, of course, there was Nirvana. This band's signature stamp on music is indelible, and most of us 30-somethings will never forget the day we learned that Kurt Cobain was dead. Well, now MTV is turning 30, and Nirvana's Nevermind is 20, and 90's nostalgia seems to be popping up all over. We may soon see a resurgence of flannel and combat boots.

While I'm blasting through my musical past, think about your musical present. The bands you love now may still be around in 20 years, but their music will be different. What music do you love now? What bands, singers, rappers and songwriters define you? Now, please share! When I order music for the teen collection, I try to keep on top of what's hot today, but I rely on your suggestions to ensure that your faves are available at the library. Email me, or leave a comment below.

Now, I'll leave you with a couple of MTV's video highlights of 90's: Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Weird Al's "Smells Like Nirvana."




No comments:

Archive

Labels

Hit Counter