Saturday, March 29, 2008

Archduke of Freak Coincidences




It's funny the bizzare ways that knowledge can reach you. I am no expert in 20th century European history, so I had never hear of Archduke Franz Ferdinand until recently. Really recently. He's a pretty important figure, as the heir to the Austro-Hungarian empire whose assisination in 1914 sparked World War One. Nope, never heard of him. Until last month when a local student asked me to help her find biographies about him. Every teenager in Tigard must be doing a report on His Dukeness, because we didn't have a single book about him on the shelf. Anyway...This teen gave me an impromptu history lesson, I said "huh, how interesting," then promptly forgot about ol' Franzie. Then a creepy thing started happening; he kept coming up...Whether in casual conversation, books unrelated to WWI, or an Eddie Izzard stand-up routine, I kept hearing about this dude who, as far as I was concerned, did not exist until February.


So, in case you're interested, check out the above link to his bio. As you can see, he was a pretty suave guy, and since the universe has been pounding him on my head, I though I'd turn around and pound him on yours.

By the way, I'm reading a fabulous book (the one that keeps referencing Duke Ferdy randomly). An Abundance of Catherines is smart, fun, and wonderfully unpredictable. When Colin gets dumped by his 19th girlfriend named Katherine, he sees himself as a failure of a human being whose potential is melting away like an Otter Pop in the hot sun. When his friend harasses him until he agrees to go on a post-graduation summer road trip, he may actually begin to heal from his broken heart, or at least learn to date someone who isn't named Katherine. Then again, maybe not. I don't know, I haven't finished it yet...

Archive

Labels

Hit Counter